Director of Children’s Ministries
St. Columba’s Episcopal Church - Washington, DC
St. Columba’s is seeking an experienced full-time lay Director of Children’s Ministries.
St. Columba’s is a vibrant, inclusive, urban congregation committed to proclaiming the Gospel through worship and ministry, as individuals and as a congregation. Located in upper northwest Washington, D.C., this is the largest parish in the Diocese of Washington with an average Sunday attendance of 575. In 2019, 200 children, on average, participate in the children’s ministry through Sunday school, children-focused Eucharist services, choirs, acolytes, and handbells. St. Columba’s is both a neighborhood church and a center for the community. St. Columba's celebrates five services on Sunday mornings. Children and youth are at the heart of our community, with a Nursery School, active Sunday School and youth programs. For more information visit our website.
Nature & Scope
The Director of Children’s Ministries (DCM) is a full-time, core staff position sharing – with the rector, clergy and program staff – in the leadership of this congregation. The DCM is a pastor, teacher, evangelist, and administrator who works collegially with staff and parishioners to share the love of Christ, and to develop and implement offerings and programs that serve the overall mission of the church. The DCM is expected to function at a very high level of personal and professional creativity, take initiative and responsibility for specific areas of ministry, and work collaboratively with others.
The DCM leads a vibrant ministry with and for the children of the church and the surrounding area that encourages faith in Jesus Christ, equipping them for ministry and mission, and training them to be leaders in their community. Essential responsibilities include inspiring children to a life of faith, nurturing a community of mutual support, program development and oversight, leadership training, and administrative duties.
Children Formation: Oversee the Sunday school program, childcare, and liturgy opportunities for infants to 5th grade. In partnership with the Children’s Council, the DCM is responsible for program coordination, including but not limited to:
- Work collaboratively with the formation staff to develop and implement a comprehensive and cohesive Christian formation plan.
- Contribute to and collaborate with the broader church for integrated, meaningful, and intentional ways to connect the children of St. Columba’s to the church, reminding the congregation of its responsibility of spiritually forming children.
- Facilitate a vision for the children’s ministry working with the formation ministry staff and key volunteers to create a mission, and core values for the children’s ministry, as well as create three-year goals in alignment with the mission, vision, and values of the broader church.
- Discern, recruit, and equip adult leaders annually and provide leader trainings and ongoing support.
- Ensure that curriculum is in place and that teachers are equipped for the Sunday School program.
- Organize, manage, and plan seasonal events and special children’s services for Christmas Eve, Epiphany, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, and Good Friday.
- Coordinate storytime during Sunday morning services and assist clergy in other children focused services.
- Assist the clergy with the Great Hall service.
- Supervise childcare workers Sunday mornings and during other family events when child care is required.
10. Provide parental support and education such as baptism and communion preparation.
Building Community: The DCM will serve as an ambassador to the community, building relationships with and facilitating opportunities for children and their families to build community, including but not limited to:
- Seasonal events that bring children and their families together.
- Be involved as a regular presence in the lives of children outside of the Sunday program.
- Provide pastoral care for children and their families.
Administration: The DCM will ensure all systems and processes are in place and well functioning. This includes:
- Maintain and manage all modes of communication for children’s ministries, including weekly email updates; work with Director of Communications for parish-wide communication
- Manage the budget for the children’s ministry
- Keep and maintain the children’s database to accurately track program data
- Support other ministries at St. Columba’s that engage children, including music programs, and nursery school
- Organize and oversee Safeguarding God’s Children for all volunteers who work with children and youth
- Other duties as assigned by the rector
We seek an individual whose love of Christ and personal gifts will inspire others; a person of prayer, personal integrity, and joy; who has a heart of compassion; is a good listener, avid learner and creative teacher; is a good model and teacher of the faith; has a natural ability to relate and work well with all children and their parents; has experience working with children with learning differences; has a profound commitment for diversity and to be inclusive of all people; is an enthusiastic and engaged partner with staff and other parish leaders; and a deep sense of calling to children’s ministry, eager to help this congregation grow into the fullness of our potential as children of God and as the body of Christ. A Bachelor's Degree, a minimum of three years’ parish children’s ministry experience, and experience recruiting, managing and supervising volunteers is preferred.
A competitive compensation package including full benefits is offered. Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Job Description (PDF)