Director of Youth Ministries
Position Announcement: March 12, 2019
St. Columba’s Episcopal Church - Washington, D.C.
St. Columba’s is seeking an experienced full-time lay Director of Youth Ministries.
St. Columba’s is a vibrant, urban congregation committed to proclaiming the Gospel through worship and ministry, as individuals and as a congregation. Located in upper northwest Washington, DC, this is the largest parish in the Diocese of Washington with an ASA of 575. In 2019, 137 youth (grade 6-12) were enrolled in Journey to Adulthood Sunday formation classes. Forty-six youth participated in summer service projects. St. Columba’s is both a neighborhood church and a center for the community. St. Columba's celebrates five services on Sunday mornings. Children and youth are at the heart of our community, with a nursery school, active Sunday School and youth programs. For more information visit our website, Columba.org.
Nature & Scope
The Director of Youth Ministries (DYM) is a full-time, core staff position sharing – with the rector, clergy and program staff – in the leadership of this congregation. The DYM is a pastor, teacher, evangelist, and administrator who works collegially with staff and parishioners to share the love of Christ, and to develop and implement offerings and programs that serve the overall mission of the church. The DYM is expected to function at a very high level of personal and professional creativity, take initiative and responsibility for specific areas of ministry, and work collaboratively with others.
The DYM leads a vibrant ministry with and for the youth of the church and the surrounding area that encourages faith in Jesus Christ, equipping them for ministry and mission, and training them to be leaders in their community. Essential responsibilities include inspiring youth to a life of faith, nurturing a community of mutual support, program development and oversight, leadership training, and administrative duties.
Youth Formation: Oversee the Journey to Adulthood formation program which includes three classes: Rite 13 (Middle School, normally split into two classrooms), J2A (early High School), and YAC (later High School). In partnership with the Youth Council, the DYM is responsible for program coordination, including but not limited to:
- Work collaboratively with the formation staff to develop and implement a comprehensive and cohesive Christian formation plan.
- Contribute to and collaborate with the broader church for integrated, meaningful, and intentional ways to connect the youth of St. Columba’s to the church, reminding the congregation of its responsibility of spiritually forming youth.
- Facilitate a vision for the youth ministry working with the formation ministry staff and key volunteers to create a mission, and core values for the youth ministry, as well as create three-year goals in alignment with the mission, vision, and values of the broader church.
- Discern, recruit, and equip adult youth leaders annually through leader trainings and ongoing support.
- Adapt and supplement Journey to Adulthood curriculum as necessary and appropriate, with other available curricula or self-produced.
- Provide parental support and education.
- Organize, manage, and facilitate all regular Journey to Adulthood activities, meetings, classes and events, including liturgical rites of passage and the J2A Pilgrimage.
- Prepare youth candidates for baptism and confirmation.
- Promote participation in diocesan, regional and national youth events; participate in diocesan and regional youth leader training opportunities.
Youth Outreach: The DYM is responsible for coordination, facilitation, and support of all youth outreach opportunities, including but not limited to:
- SCAP – St. Columba’s Appalachia Project - coordinate annual Sr. High mission trip to West Virginia.
- SON – Serving Our Neighbor - coordinate annual Middle School mission project in Washington, DC.
- Develop new outreach opportunities through St. Columba’s current outreach ministries, as well as new initiatives.
Youth Community: In partnership with Parent Coordinators, the DYM will facilitate opportunities for youth to build community, including but not limited to:
- Identify and support Parent Coordinators for each class.
- Work with Parent Coordinators to design, promote, and manage events and activities that engage youth in building community.
- Be involved as a regular presence in the lives of our youth outside of the Sunday program.
- Maintain and manage all modes of communication for youth ministries, including weekly email updates targeted for each class; work with Director of Communications for parish-wide communication.
- With Event Coordinators, coordinate fundraisers as needed to support youth ministry projects.
- Manage the budget for youth ministries.
- Support other ministries at St. Columba’s that engage youth, including but not limited to acolytes, sacristans, youth choirs, lay readers, ushers, etc.
- Other duties as assigned by the rector.
We seek an individual whose love of Christ and personal gifts will inspire others; a person of prayer, personal integrity, and joy; who has a heart of compassion; is a good listener, avid learner and creative teacher; is a good model and teacher of the faith; has a natural ability to relate and work well with youth and their parents; an enthusiastic and engaged partner with staff and other parish leaders; and a deep sense of calling to youth ministry, eager to help this congregation grow into the fullness of our potential as children of God and as the body of Christ. A Bachelor's Degree, a minimum of three years’ parish youth ministry experience, and experience coordinating and executing mission trips with young people is preferred.
A competitive compensation package including full benefits is offered. Anticipated start date: early summer 2019. Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Download: Position Announcement (PDF)