Interim Associate Rector – PT
St. Columba's Episcopal Church
St. Columba’s seeks a part-time Interim Associate Rector to work collaboratively with the rector, clergy and other staff with particular responsibility for worship, outreach and pastoral care.
St. Columba’s is “a welcoming Christian community of all ages that encourages spiritual curiosity, celebrates children and youth, and embraces the world in the spirit of God’s justice and love.” Located in upper northwest Washington, D.C., this is the largest parish in the Episcopal Diocese of Washington with an ASA of 575 and annual budget of $3 million.
Context & Scope
- November 1, 2019, to serve at least through January 2020 and, by monthly contract, potentially through June 2020
- 25 hours per week
- Flexible days and hours; will include Sundays, “on call” one week per month, and Tuesday mornings for staff meetings
St. Columba’s ministry is currently supported by two full-time associate rectors, one of whom is on maternity leave through December 20; the other has just announced his call to serve elsewhere. We seek an interim to assist until a full-time associate is called. Additional clergy and staff include a part-time assisting priest who supports worship and pastoral care, and a deacon who supports outreach, pastoral care, and worship. St. Columba’s has a robust staff of lay ministers and leaders.
- Convene weekly worship meetings and collaborate with clergy, musicians, and childrens’ ministers to design and carry out liturgies, including special feasts, e.g., Christmas, Holy Week, Easter (liturgies are currently planned through Easter).
- Coordinate with vergers, property, AV, and other staff to insure smooth delivery of worship.
- Provide support and leadership to all lay-led liturgical ministries as needed, e.g., vergers, altar guild, LEM’s, flower guild, etc.
- Oversee bulletin preparation:
- work closely with musicians to ensure timely submission of music information for bulletins.
- work closely with bulletin assistant to provide content and review/approve drafts.
- write “liturgical notes” as needed to explain themes or sources of prayers, etc.
- Participate in clergy rota to preach (approx. once per month) and preside (most Sundays), both in Church Nave and Great Hall worship.
- Prepare participants and preside at pastoral sacramental rites as required: e.g., baptisms, funerals, etc.
- Recruit parishioners and schedule them to share their “faith story.”
- Share with other clergy in pastoral support – on-call rota, hospital visits, etc.
- Provide clergy/staff support for the Water Ministry leadership as needed.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and OTM profile (if available) to the Rev. Ledlie I. Laughlin, Rector, St. Columba’s Episcopal Church, email@example.com or 4201 Albemarle St. NW, Washington, DC 20016. We will review all materials as they arrive and respond to all applicants.
Position Announcement (PDF)