TITLE: Music Leader – Worship Lab
HOURS: 5 hours/week.
Estimated time breakdown:
2 hours on Sunday. Set up for service. Practice/rehearsal. Lead service. Break down from service.
1 hour: planning and preparation.
2 hours: organize and lead rehearsal (on Sunday or weekday).
COMPENSATION: This is a contract position at $400/week.
REPORTS TO: Associate Rector
PURPOSE & SUMMARY:
The Music Leader for Worship Lab will lead music at our contemporary worship service held in the Great Hall on Sundays at 11:15 am. Worship Lab is a new, experimental worship experience designed to be flexible and creative. The Music Leader will have an important role in developing the congregation’s musical praise, building on previous repertoire but actively introducing new material. The Music Leader is a member of the larger staff team, collaborating to fulfill the mission and programs of the church. This position requires an individual with a unique mix of musical and organizational skills as well as a desire to empower others in musical leadership and ministry.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Plan and Lead Music
- Choose 3-5 songs for each Worship Lab service. Balance music we know with new pieces (3-4 known pieces with 1-2 new pieces).
- Create and curate any music related worship material needed (printed or projected), building on the songbook we have already developed. (Support staff available to create polished final print materials, for printing/binding, and for limited A/V support on Sundays.) Worship material may include a reusable songbook, weekly song sheets, and/or weekly slideshow. If a slideshow is preferred, be able to provide technical support/troubleshooting for presentation set-up and execution.
- Sing and play (piano or guitar), and lead congregation in singing. Lead other music volunteers that make up a praise band.
- Teach the congregation new songs.
- Set-up and break-down music related aspects of worship as needed. Organize lay leaders if help is needed.
Organize Lay Musicians and Lead Rehearsals
- Maintain a spreadsheet and email list of music volunteers/lay musicians. Communicate with lay musicians as needed.
- Organize a weekly rehearsal with musicians at mutually agreeable times. Set-up and break-down rehearsal as needed.
- Teach musicians new music. Work with them to improve musicianship.
- Empower lay musicians to lead the congregation in making music.
- Work with clergy and other program staff to create a vibrant, integrated church experience for parishioners and newcomers to St. Columba’s.
- Work with clergy and other program staff to design creative and moving worship that touches both the mind and the heart and invites worshippers to join in God’s mission of peace and justice in the world around us.
- Able to lead music from piano and/or guitar.
- Able to sing and teach/encourage others to sing.
- Knowledge of contemporary Christian music.
- Willingness to teach others at various levels of musicianship and help them become better musicians.
- Able to coordinate work with clergy, staff, parishioners and lay leaders.
- Flexibility and good judgment – able to lead appropriately and change approach in real time if needed.
- Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Able to work independently, take initiative, and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Minimum 3 years of worship music leadership experience (paid or unpaid).
- Familiarity with Episcopal liturgy (or other liturgical expressions of Christian worship) a plus.
- Organizational and task management skills.
- Computer proficiency: comfortable using Google Office Suite and Gmail to organize and communicate.
To apply: Please send cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references to Karen Sprague, Director of Finance and Administration, at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.