Job Opening: Executive Assistant to the Rector (for Pastoral Care)
Executive Assistant to the Rector (for Pastoral Care)
St. Columba’s Episcopal Church ~ Washington, DC
St. Columba’s seeks a full time, talented, energetic, versatile and heart-filled Executive Assistant who will support the rector’s work in leading the church. This is an ideal opportunity for someone with strong organizational skills, people skills, and a desire to serve others. She/he/they will also coordinate the efforts of the pastoral care team (clergy, parishioners, lay leaders) in providing care during times of illness, crisis, or need. The Executive Assistant reports to the rector and will work closely with clergy, staff, and parish leaders to establish and meet organizational goals.
St. Columba’s is a vibrant, urban congregation committed to proclaiming the Gospel through worship and ministry. Located in upper northwest Washington, D.C., this is the largest parish in the Episcopal Diocese of Washington with an average Sunday attendance of 525, 15 FTE’s, and operating budget of $2,800,000. For information visit columba.org.
Essential Functions ~
- Commit to the Mission: Learn and maintain an understanding of St. Columba’s mission and work in order to assist the rector in setting priorities and communicating effectively;
- Build Relationships: Nurture the rector’s pastoral relationships and cultivate strategic relationships with parishioners, leaders, partners, and contributors (within and beyond); be ears and eyes, and extend the care of the rector;
- Provide Administrative Support: Provide administrative support for the rector: manage rector’s schedule, calendar, and e-mail; organize internal and external meetings; provide/coordinate hospitality as needed;
- Support the rector in his leadership of the vestry and the staff;
- Oversee the parish’s annual calendar to ensure coordinated planning and promotion of all seasonal worship, programs, and events;
- Communicate: Support the rector in providing clear and consistent communication of the mission, values and goals of St. Columba’s; generate regular “thank you” letters;
- Provide Pastoral Coordination: Provide coordination and support for St. Columba’s various pastoral ministries including, e.g., the Stephen Ministers, Good Shepherds, Healing Ministers, Passages, Flower Deliverers, et al.; support new initiatives as needed;
- Coordinate care for parishioners of all ages during times of need; lead weekly pastoral care meetings; assign “on call” clergy; and track follow-up care;
- Coordinate with families, clergy, and staff to prepare for marriages and funerals;
- Support Senior Staff: Support clergy and staff in special projects as time permits.
Core competencies & qualifications ~
The qualified candidate will have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, written and verbal communication skills, and pay special attention to detail. He/she/they will have a high level of emotional intelligence, good listening skills, healthy boundaries, be comfortable praying with others, maintain confidentiality, and be a team player committed to excellent “customer” service. Strong project management skills are essential, able to work independently and to take initiative on new projects. Flexibility required to accommodate after‐hours events. He/she/they will be a creative problem solver with a great attitude and a strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and Outlook and Google Suite. Database experience preferred with familiarity in Realm/ACS being highly desirable. The ideal candidate will be a person of faith, familiar with the Episcopal Church, with a passion for nurturing the health of the local church. Essential experience includes working with parishioners, volunteer leaders and high‐level prospects. The ideal candidate will have at least three years of proven administrative experience.
St. Columba’s Church offers a competitive nonprofit salary, along with outstanding benefits. St. Columba’s is committed to a diverse staff and is an equal opportunity employer.
Anticipated start date: ASAP.
Please send resume and coverletter to [email protected]