Now hiring: Minister for Member Engagement
St. Columba’s seeks a part-time (20 hours/week), talented, energetic, versatile and heart-filled Minister for Member Engagement who will provide support and operational oversight for member incorporation and ministry engagement, developing and coordinating processes that encourage/invite parishioners, particularly those who are new, to share their gifts and connect with small groups and ministries that suit those gifts and their interest. The Minister for Member Engagement reports to the Director of Development and will work closely with clergy, staff, and parish leaders to establish and meet organizational goals. This position is a lay position, not clergy
St. Columba’s is a vibrant, urban congregation committed to proclaiming the Gospel through worship and ministry. Located in upper northwest Washington, D.C., this is the largest parish in the Episcopal Diocese of Washington with an average Sunday attendance of 525, 15 FTE’s, and an operating budget of $3,200,000. For information visit columba.org.
Essential Functions ~
- Facilitate introductions and find ways for newcomers and all members to connect to the church and to one another, with the goal of ensuring that every member is known by someone on thestaff and feels a part of the life of the parish family.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Hospitality Team to create a spectrum of year-round opportunities for people to get to know one another in gatherings small and large as well as oversee weekly Sunday hospitality.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Welcome Team, and work with clergy, staff and others to create clear pathways so those exploring church engagement through digital or in-person entryways can navigate their way, connect, and get involved.
- Serve as the primary staff contact and connector for newcomers and members who have questions about membership, service opportunities, or any of the various ministries of the church. Gather information about parishioners’ gifts and interests and invite them to connect with small groupsor activities that might be of interest.
- Ensure that visitor and member data is accurately recorded and updated in the parish database.
Core competencies & qualifications ~
The qualified candidate will have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, a warm and outgoing nature, ability to put others at ease and show genuine interest in other people. He/she/they will have a high level of emotional intelligence, good listening skills, healthy boundaries, be comfortable praying with others, maintain confidentiality, and be a team player committed to excellent “customer” service. He/she/they must be discrete in handling confidential information. This person must have experience planning and coordinating community events. Flexibility required to accommodate after-hours events. He/she/they will be a creative problem solver with a great attitude and a knowledge of Word, Excel and Google Suite. Database experience preferred with familiarity in Realm/ACS being highly desirable. The ideal candidate will be a person of faith, familiar with the Episcopal Church, with a passion for nurturing the health of the local church. Prior experience working with volunteers preferred.
St. Columba’s Church offers a competitive nonprofit salary. St. Columba’s is committed to a diversestaff. Anticipated start date: ASAP.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to the Bronwyn Roy, Director ofDevelopment, St. Columba’s Episcopal Church, [email protected] or 4201 Albemarle St. NW,Washington, DC 20016. No phone calls, please.