Christmas Celebrations with St. Columba’s will be On-Line Only
In prayerful consultation with others in our parish leadership, I have decided that we will prioritize safety above all – safety for you, for our neighbors and community; for our clergy, staff, and liturgical ministers. Christmas celebrations with St. Columba’s will be on-line only.
This is a change from the announcement sent out just yesterday. But this is the week when the Omicron variant of Covid-19 appears to be spiking; rates of infection in the District of Columbia are at their highest ever, and the highest in the nation. Even with safety measures, the prospect of gathering with hundreds of others is a risk I do not want us to take. The CDC is not making a distinction between close contact indoors or outside; we will not gather for the outdoor children’s pageant.
This is a loss for many of us; we have been anticipating with joy a glorious re-gathering. I am sorry. I am particularly grateful for the glorious preparations of our flower guild, choirs, musicians, and “pageant-eers”. But, dear ones, one of the things we have discovered these past eighteen months is how to connect with one another, even across vast distances. Wherever we are, Christ shall be born anew this Christmas. Challenging as these times may be, the heart of the Christmas message is that God is among us with love. “Do not be afraid; for see – I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people: to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is the Messiah, the Lord.”
Our Christmas worship with the nativity story, sermon, glorious music, and hymns will be available Christmas Eve morning and through-out the Christmas season. Please join us.
- All Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services will be pre-recorded and on-line only; no in-person gatherings.
- Zoom Christmas Eve Carol Sing ay 7pm, see below for details.
- Sunday Celebrations for December 26 and January 2 will be live-streamed at 9:00 am and available anytime thereafter. No in-person worship.
- The New Year’s Eve concert will be live-streamed with no live audience; all may enjoy this concert online.
- We anticipate returning to in-person worship on January 9; stay tuned for updates.
With abiding faith in the love of God, the coming of the newborn Christ, and with prayers that you and yours may celebrate a joyous Christmas!
Meeting ID: 872 1655 4389