Stirring the Waters
“A Ministry for Racial justice that seeks to educate the parish and ourselves on the impact of racism and racial inequity, to confront white privilege, to promote interracial dialogue and to act against racial injustice.”
Oh God, we pray that you will stir the waters, and agitate the sleepers of our world, who would rather justify injustice than fight against it. And give your people – your young warriors and crying mothers and broken fathers – the courage to accept nothing less than life. Help us to stand for truth, justice, and righteousness. Give us courage to make our witness against injustice in deep and abiding love. Amen.
ADAPTED FROM "A COLLECTIVE PRAYER FOR FERGUSON"
AS COMPILED AND EDITED BY PASTOR RENITA MARIE
Our Call to Action
Covid-19 and its profoundly inequitable impact on people of color has exposed the injustice of 400 years of oppression of brown and black people through slavery and the legacy of white supremacy. The unwarranted murder of Black men by the police has further exposed the impact of systemic institutionalized racism. Stirring the Waters is dedicated to achieving racial equity and supporting St. Columba’s in becoming an anti-racist church. Doing so requires education, understanding and action on many levels. We invite you to join us. We need your support.
- Visit Ways to Learn and Serve for compilations of books, articles, and other resources, as well as initiatives by individual St Columba’s parishioners.
- Like us on our Facebook page for more timely announcements of upcoming events and programs.
- Join us for our monthly Let’s Talk About Race meetings.
- For more information, questions, contacts and ideas contact ministry leaders Patty and Bill Jensen
- Sign up for our listserv to receive information and ministry events or join our Ministry and become part of our Planning Team. We welcome your input and involvement.